It took a long time for me to figure out how to study and an even longer time to figure out where to study. Yes, these are some of the dilemmas that medical students face. Do I study in a group? Do I study by myself? Do I study at home, a coffee shop, the library, a carrel, or a breakout room?
It took me until finals week of the second semester of medical school to figure out that my optimal study space is at home. The only problem with my study space then was that it was a tiny desk that did not have much room for my computer, books, and notes on it all at the same time. Since I still had that same desk the time that fall semester rolled around I thought that I still needed a study carrel in the library.
The week after school started I decided that I missed studying at home for many, many reasons. I went to office depot and bought a new desk from office depot. What made it even better is that I got a $300 desk for $99. What a deal! After it took Mike about 2 hours to put together this 65 step desk, I now have a wonderful new study space at home! Here are some of my favorite advantages to spending the weekend at home and knowing that I am disciplined enough to stay in my office to do work:
1. I have a coffee maker at home
2. I do not have to plan what I am taking for lunch or must go out to eat because I didn’t bring anything with me
3. I can see my husband on study breaks
4. Good lighting
5. If my phone rings I can answer it and not have to whisper
6. I can see the outside world
7. I can study as early or as late as I want too
8. I can take my earplugs out and listen to the birds chirping outside
9. When the husband is at home he will make me lunch and dinner so I can have optimal study time with minimal interruptions
10. No added stress of other classmates being stressed